Photo GalleryClick on a photo to enlarge and for more information.
Geological Society of London
Mineralogical Society of America
- Earth Science Teachers' Association - the aim of the association is to encourage and support the teaching of Earth Sciences whether as a single subject such as geology, or as part of science or geography courses. ESTA also sells reference sets of rock samples for teaching.
- Teaching Mineralogy: A Digital Collection of Teaching Materials
Websites for children
Clubs and Societies
- Rockwatch - a UK wide club for school children
www.Gabbrosoft.org. Spreadshets can be downloaded and used to recalculate mineral stoichiometry based on electron microprobe anaylsis.
Earth Lab Datasite - the Natural History Museum's educational resource allowing amateur geologists and students to investigate UK geology on-line.
- Mineralogy Database - David Barthelmy 's database contains more than 5,000 web pages of mineral data. There are 4,205 individual mineral species descriptions with links.
- Glossary of rock, mineral and gemstone terms - Hershel Friedman's comprehensive on-line glossary with hundreds of mineral terms, definitions and explanations.
- Etymology of mineral and rock names - Christof Kuhn's listing of the derivation of rock and mineral names, in English and German.
- Mindat.org - probably the largest mineralogical reference on the internet.
- Mineralpedia, by Dakota Matrix: a Photo and Mineral Properties Database